Dayton v. Kennedy

Returning Senator Mark Dayton to the Ranks of the Idle Rich in 2006

3/07/2005

Betty Says 'No'

When it rains, it pours in this race…

4th Congressional Congresswoman Betty McCollum is out of the 2006 U.S. Senate race.

"After much personal reflection I have decided to continue serving my Fourth District constituents and fighting for Minnesota families in Congress. Next year, I plan to seek re-election while at the same time working to ensure the strongest Democrat emerges to win the U.S. Senate race. In the future I will likely explore other political opportunities, but for now I have a job that I love. I am very blessed to have the privilege of serving the people of Minnesota in Congress.

All across Minnesota there are too many families confronting really difficult challenges in their daily lives. I feel the best contribution I can make to help Minnesota families is to continue to fight for them in Congress, leading with both common sense and a progressive voice. The party ruling Washington is putting our nation's future in danger and I feel a tremendous sense of urgency to keep fighting to get our country back on the right track."


So while the GOP field is set, the DFL narrows to three: Hennepin County Attorney Amy Klobuchar, wealthy trial attorney and 2000 Senate candidate Mike Ciresi, and potentially Kennedy’s 2004 congressional opponent Patty Wetterling. Our DFL friends over at Checks and Balances don’t even believe it’s a three-way race:

”Right now we see an endorsement contest between Wetterling and Klobuchar shaping up with a possible, but not guaranteed primary contest with Ciresi. Word we have out of Washington, D.C. through the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee is they feel, as a trial lawyer, Ciresi is not the best candidate for the spot.”


Go Mike Go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home